Welcome to a Part of Me

To those that care, those that might and those that are just curious:


I am a Christian, husband, father etc. At times a bit of a contrarian so don't assign me all of the labels one might associated with those categories. I have an extreme love of food and wine and sharing them as frequently as possible. I have opinions, many of which will never see the light of a computer screen.

As time progresses you can anticipate snippets on what I understand about following Christ, copious posts about my wonderful family, failed fishing jaunts - (I don't do trips, they require too much time attention and care - jaunts will suffice for me), hikes and camping both with and without my boys, food glorious food, politics, business and the current (now past tense) job search. I am sure there will be more...

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Food, Wine and me

I could have my first true post on religion, my wife and kids, or even on something like my current job search.... Nope, food.  For those that know me this will come as no surprise - it has been said of me that I live from meal to meal and everything in between is just filler.  Luckily for me I married one of the most talented cooks anyone could hope to find.  Angie mixes precision, research and a bit of adventure.  She knows of more cooking sites, secret methods and substitutions than should be recalled by anyone less than leader of a secret society of culinary librarians.  She rarely backs down from a challenging recipe and I rarely back away from anything but an empty plate.  I am no slack in the kitchen myself - a bit more of a MacGyver.  To this point in my kitchen experimentation I have only chucked 2 "experiments".  I whole-heartily believe in cooking with your nose...pick a central ingredient and start smelling your way through the rest of it.

While I appreciate the unique and the extravagant - the simple pleasures of simple foods done right sit just as well with me.    When I title an entry with anything related to "food" expect a short bit on my recent bites.  

On that note - last night: nothing fancy, sirloin from Costco (unless you have a specialty shop or butcher near by Costco likely the best choice you will have for good meat).  While I didn't take the time to age the steaks last night I have been known to do so.  A simple method I use when grilling steaks is to give them a light coating of butter before placing them on the grill (when I say light I mean that in a Paula Dean way).  I find this gives a steak a nice but thin crust.  By the way, medium rare is my personal recommendation on a steak.  If you are going to err toward more or less done - always go toward more rare.  Medium is overcooked - anything past is burnt.    We had some sides etc with dinner but I can't remember a dang one...the steak was too good. 

I am marinating the rest of the steaks for tomorrow (the other reason I buy at Costco is there is too much for one meal...darn I have to have steak twice this week).

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bro, (I can't believe how much you look like Dad in that photo..wow - scary, but in a good way :-) I agree that you are still a MacGyver in the kitchen. Where I don't agree is on the doneness of steaks...I'm with Doodie on that one - the doner the better! (BTW, I'd be careful about using "nose" and "pick" in the same sentence when you're talking about food! :-) Love you! Sis

    ReplyDelete